Saturday, April 1, 2017

April, Roller Coasters, Ian Stewart, Photography Elective, and G & T Math Curriculum

It's refreshing to finally be in April.  Yes, teachers, we made it though March, and indeed we can begin to see the glimmer of summer on the horizon.  Before I left my classroom yesterday, I did a bit of Spring cleaning and cleaned out my classroom closet, and very happily went home with nothing to grade, since I was all caught up on all my grading for all five of my classes (I know, it's a teacher miracle!)  Here are some things that have been on my mind (and in my classroom lately)...

Roller Coasters
Anyone who knows me, knows I am not a fan of roller coasters, but being a middle school teacher, I know that they can be a great hook for students.  This year, I've actually been able to bring them into both my 7th and 8th grade Algebra 1 classes.  With my 7th graders last month, they analyzed data & statistics on steel & wood roller coasters and created a mathematical argument for which was faster, using measures of center and spread.  This week my 8th graders did this lesson from Illuminations where they determined the time it takes a roller coaster to reach the bottom of it's tallest drop, used tables and graphs to analyze the falls of different roller coasters, and created their own roller coasters and provided an analysis of it's fall.  Not a bad way to do some math during the first round of state testing.  We also learned about the Physics of Roller Coasters, and of course watched some first-person roller coaster videos.  One of my 8th graders even asked if he could bring in his Google Cardboard one day this week to watch some virtual reality roller coaster videos, and of course I said yes, because I was curious.  Both of these activities led to great engagement and discussions.  Sarah at Math=Love posted this last week about Marble Roller Coasters, which looks fantastic.  Both of these were new additions to my curriculums this year and I am looking forward to adding to them in the future.

Ian Stewart 
Looking to deepen my own mathematical knowledge, over Spring Break, I want to read one of Ian Stewart's books.  Not sure which one I want to read yet, so any suggestions are welcome.  

Photography Elective
Next week is the last week of Math Club for the year.  The students are finishing up their gold-level projects and we will have a small celebration.  When we get back from Spring Break, I will run my first Photography elective.  Students haven't signed up yet, so I don't know who'll be in it, but many students have expressed an interest and I am looking forward to facilitating it.  My goal is to have gallery show in June showing off all their work.  I am looking forward to this creative outlet.

Gifted & Talented Math Curriculum
In beginning to think about next year, my principal suggested looking into Project M3, which comes from the Renzulli Center at UConn.  I was not familiar with it, but would love to visit a school that has experience with it, or chat with a teacher who has used it.  I must do more research into it.  I am currently using CMP3 as my main curriculum, and supplement with other resources from Mathalicous, Illuminations, and MAP.  Like I said, I must do more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment