Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Hunter, CMP3, Math PL, Flipped Classroom...

It's kind of crazy to think that in three weeks, we will be on summer vacation.  Really, where did this school year go?!  Although summer 2016 is already pretty packed...

I start my classes at Hunter in July, and they are full time for six weeks.  I met with the Gifted Education Program director earlier this week, and I am looking forward to the program.  I'll take my four G&T classes this summer and then the Gifted CST and then I can apply for my certification extension which will make me K-12 Gifted Certification in addition to my 7-12 Math certification.  She did share with me two new resources W & M School of Education Center for Gifted Education Curriculum and Linda Sheffield's Math Teacher Resources, so I am already learning more.

I also signed up for August's Getting to Know CMP3 Summer Institute Level II for grade 8.  I really felt like I got a lot out of it last summer when I went for grade 6 and since grade 8 CMP3 will be new to me, I hope I get as much out of it.  Then I can say that I've taught every grade using CMP3, which is pretty cool.  I still remember the days a few years ago when I was just getting my feet wet, trying a CMP2 unit in my 7th grade class.  What growth!

Looking forward to a PL I am attending tomorrow on creating a student-centered (high school) math classroom, which I am looking forward to.  Speaking of PL, this past weekend I went to the UFT Teacher Leadership Conference, and was inspired by a high school math teacher who flipped her geometry class this past year.  Definitely more to come on that in a future post.

What have my students been up to?  My 6th graders started their statistics projects and they will be presenting them during the last full week of school and my 7th graders have played around on Desmos Marbleslides twice now and they are loving them - 100% engagement!  Next week are their last interim assessments for the year, and I am using a lot of the same state test questions from this year's state test.

That's all I have time for today.  More to reflect on later...

No comments:

Post a Comment