Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Joy of Work

Here we are, the last day of September!  One month down, nine more to go.  The irony is that technically, this is only our first full week of school.  I am sitting in a local coffee shop, as I usually do on Wednesday afternoons, before my meditation class, and as I reflect on the first month of school, I can't help but look back and think about this quote by Nick Offerman, from his comedy show, American Ham:
I first watched his show and heard this quote earlier this year, and man did it force me out of my comfort zone.  A few months later, I would make the decision to look for another teaching job because I was losing my joy and passion at my current job.  My old job wasn't bad, but it was time for a change.  So as the sun sets on September, here are some things I have reflected on about my life as a math (and art) teacher...

I know for a fact that I am doing more work.  How do I know this?  I am teaching/ lesson planning/ grading/ two grades, as well as two electives.  Yet somehow,I haven't fallen behind yet.  I have time to do this (yes, I know technically we're not even done with our first full week yet) but it's been work.  And yet, I find myself grateful for the fact that I am teaching new material (6th grade), and confident about what I do know (7th grade).  Routines are finally feeling more natural and I am enjoying learning new things about my students. 

Every Friday, I also get to end my work week with my Math Club and doing art!  I was terrified of being the art teacher at first, but I am having a blast (and learning quite a lot about Pop Art, I might add).  

I even enjoy lunch duty.  It gives me a chance to observe my students in a much different environment than the classroom.  For example, I have a student who would completely shut down in math class, but I noticed how she was at lunch and saw that she seemed to be good friends with another girl in the class, so the next day I moved her to a group with the her other friend, and she was much more open in class, still not 100% but much more than I had gotten before, and this is something I might not had ever known had I not observed her during lunch.

Lastly, this morning I got an email from one of my former students and it made my day!  She is doing so well and I am so proud of her, and it warmed my heart to realize that she thought of me <3

I am one lucky teacher, and I am really lucky that (at least for now) I have found "something that I can tolerate or love." 

No comments:

Post a Comment