Monday, July 28, 2014

Why now?

It may seem kind of weird that I am starting a blog about my experiences teaching (and learning) math in the Summer, but this has been a long time coming.

I am currently going into my eighth year teaching middle school mathematics.  Which is impressive for someone who stated in their freshman year of college (11 years ago) that they were taking their last math class ever.  Two masters degrees in teaching later, here I am.

I've always been a fan of online journals, so it makes sense that I would use this form of social media to reflect, grow, and share my experiences teaching and learning mathematics.  It's just taken me a while to get started.  Last year, when I became the Math Lead Teacher at my public middle school in New York City, I started a blog to share my experiences, but didn't keep up with it.  I'm hoping I will be more faithful with this one, but only time will tell with that.

So why now?

This past school year, I felt like I stagnated.  Yes, I know I've gotten much better as a teacher than I was when I started eight years ago, but this year, my growth slowed way down.  I skimmed by.  I was on auto-pilot.  I got results, but my professional self wasn't challenged.  That doesn't, by any means, mean my school year was easy, by the way.  It's actually kinda funny that when I started teaching, I couldn't wait to be good enough to be on auto-pilot, and now that I am here, I don't feel as satisfied as I thought I would be.

So what's my objective with this blog?  It's simple.  To become a better math teacher.

I know what I do is important.  Teaching is, after all, the greatest act of optimism (Colleen Wilcox).

I want to grow.  I want to learn.  I want to become better at what I do professionally, and hopefully this blog will help me get there.  I hope, by reflecting on and sharing my ups and downs, I can learn from my mistakes.  I hope to open up my classroom doors and get feedback from other educators.  I hope to get over this plateau that I have reached in my profession.  So here I am.  Let's see where this journey takes me...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment