Monday, July 28, 2014

#MTBoS and @TmathC and my ideal Summer reading list

Three posts in one day?  It must be Summer vacation.

Last post for today, I promise (mostly because I still have to plan for my SHSAT math prep classes that I am teaching this week).  But another reason for starting up this blog is to join the numerous math educators that are part of the mathtwitterblogosphere and TwitterMathCamp.  What are the MTBoS and TmathC?  Well from what I understand, it's basically a social media community for math teachers.  I first learned about it from my friend and fellow math teacher, James.  The more I read, the more and more excited I get about my own math blogging adventure!

In addition to joining the MTBoS and following TmathC, I have also decided to include my ideal professional reading book list for this Summer:

  1. Driven by Data by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo
  2. The Power of Teacher Teams by Vivian Troen and Katherine C. Boles
  3. The Math Coach Field Guide by Carolyn Felux and Paula Snowdy
  4. Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess      
  5. Learning From Coaching by Nina Morel
  6. Putting the Practices into Action by Susan O'Connell and John SanGiovanni 
  7. Teaching Problems and the Problems of Teaching by Magdalene Lampert
The first two books are required reading by my school, but the others I have heard about on my own and sound interesting.  Now, practically I know I will not be able to read and take meaning from all of them (and I know that this is a problem I tend to have - I love thinking big picture and end up often times getting in over my head and overwhelmed and not finishing what I start) but my hope is that I break up my reading into manageable chunks and use this blog as a way to hold myself accountable and to help digest the material.  Hopefully I will be able to avoid getting overwhelmed this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment